I generally stray away from text only updates about things, but frankly thing are so busy at the moment that it’s hard to do any more. Let me start by briefly summing up what’s happened so far with RealmStory.
- I started the game as Super Story World, and after a brief and unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign realized I had a lot of work to do before the game was really ready for the public
- It’s a 2D open world roguelike platformer, and production is going fairly smoothly. The first alpha has been on schedule for some time this Fall
- The original plan was to relaunch the KS campaign, but as time moves on the harder that seems with the holidays so close
- At the current rate of development, I could probably finish the game some time around July of 2016
What’s Up With Development?
Development has slowed waaay down recently, and many of you have probably noticed. I want to briefly answer why. . . with another bullet point list!
- I’ve had a ton of work trips to attend recently, with another this week. That slows things down. Fortunately, this will be the last one for a while
- I’ve been doing a ton of “behind the scenes” style work – random level generators, etc. Things that don’t provide much “showing off” opportunity until they’re finished
- Without going into too much detail, there’s a little concern about my job/financial situation right now. I may be losing the significant portion of my income (the games really aren’t part of that as of yet!), and that could throw this whole thing into chaos. Without a stable situation, the games have to go on hold. They are not my full time job yet.
It’s the last point there that I wanted to write about briefly. I love making games – I intend to continue making games! But I also have to be realistic, and I’m just giving everyone a heads up that for the next little while updates about RealmStory may be a bit spotty. I don’t intend to cancel production and I don’t intend to stop. . . but I’m also not saying that won’t happen at some point (at least cancelling for a while). The fact is that I don’t make any noticeable income from what I do with my games. Frankly, given the type of games I’ve made so far, that’s not something super shocking or concerning to me. The whole point of this has been to get better. Heck, my goal is for my next project to be 3D and waaaaay better than anything I’ve done before. Maybe then I’ll really worry about making significant cash from this. Until then, I’m content to keep making these games for the fun and experience of it!
This is, however, the real world. Right now I’m having to ask myself some hard questions, including some about the games. Will I keep developing? Sure! Will I keep spending as much time on it as I do right now? I don’t know. There are some other side job/income making projects I feel like I could explore right now. And, honestly, I’m probably going to need to explore some of them. Which will slow development down significantly.
I love making games and I’m going to keep working on projects! But RealmStory could take some time to complete. Hopefully all of this will be resolved in the next 4 months or so. Let me assure you of this: just as with Super Mega Bob, if I run a funding campaign and it is successful I guarantee you’ll get a finished product. Honestly, that’s another part of why I’m just holding off on definite funding plans for the production of RealmStory. I don’t want to get into something I can’t finish. If I know I can finish it, that’s when I’ll worry about another crowdfunding campaign.
Until next time, keep playing/making awesome games and keep it groovy ya’ll!